Outer Hebrides: Lochboisdale to Lochmaddy - Day2

Our second day on the east coast of South Uist dawned bright and breezy. Gone were the overcast skies of the previous afternoon, replaced with a cold wind from the south.
I had meant to take some time to explore the remains of an iron age village above the bothy...
...but with headland of Uisinis beckoning, we were all keen to get back on the water.
It is a headland with something of a reputation but apart from some relatively small clapotis beneath the south facing cliffs, the sea was much quieter than I'd expected.
The stack which forms Nicolson's Leap funnelled both the wind and waves however and provided an entertaining passage for one of the group.
Beyond, the low swell continued, again giving a mixture of gentle rock hopping and some more serious passages: those with plastic hulls apparently much braver than the glass boat brigade.
Beneath Uisinis lighthouse...
...to land soon after at Mol a Tuath, today a sheltered haven.
From here, idyllic paddling amongst the skerries...
...watched over by seals, took us past Loch Sgiopoirt and through the narrow Caolas Luirsaigh. The wind had shifted, veering west; a stiff paddle into F4/5 brought us to Bagh Nam Faoilean and with the wind now on the stern quarter, we surfed rapidly on to the skerries of Benbecula.
We had already seen several otters and here, amongst the skerries, they appeared again, just as bold as before...
...understandably reluctant to leave their meal, pausing only briefly to watch us pass.
With a falling tide, the passage through the skerries and inside Wiay required rather more careful navigation, the obvious passage on the map being rather less clear at sea level. Nosing through shallow, kelp filled gaps and weaving amongst the small islands, we arrived at Loch a Laip tired and ready to call an end to the day. Yet with no obvious places to land and camp, we pushed on for another 4km, heading for  Maithidh Riabhach and the small sandy beach marked on the map.
If there was sand here, it was covered in rocks and kelp; after 7 hours on the water however the thought of continuing was far from appealing and we hauled the boats onto a tiny islet, separated from the main island by a narrow channel.
At first glance it seemed an unlikely spot for our night's camp but on closer inspection, and with careful pitching, we were soon happily settled with a panoramic view taking in North and South Uist as well as Skye, across The Minch. Perfect.
Later, I watched the sun set beyond a myriad of islands and, with the east coast of North Uist now in reach, wondered what the morning would bring.