Skye Circumnavigation: Lorgill Bay - Uig

This, our third day on the water was always going to be a big one. Neist Point, the first real crux of the trip was 8km to our north and if the winds stayed light, our plan was to get around both the headlands of Dunvegan and Waternish, effectively putting the exposed west coast behind us and leaving just one major headland to get around: Rubha Hunish. If we could reach the Uig, some 52km away, then we would be well positioned for this northernmost headland of Skye.
After crossing Moonen Bay on glassy seas...
...we reached Neist Point at the start of the north going stream. The westerly swell had dropped again and with an absolute lack of wind and still only a gentle flow, conditions were idyllic. While we both felt that such calm conditions where something of an anticlimax for this notorious headland, it was with mounting excitement that we pushed on, quickly crossing Loch Pooltiel and then passing Dunvegan Head.
Here we paused, the seas still glassy, watching several porpoises as they passed by, some just a few feet from our bows.
Tim begins the crossing of Loch Dunvegan with the Cuillin behind...
...the low lying headland of Waternish in the distance.
Landing at Ardmore Point we took a leisurely break, and picked up a forecast on the VHF which called for freshening winds from south east.
By the time we were back on the water the wind was a respectable F4 and for the next 7km we enjoyed the first following sea of the trip, surfing rapidly on to round Waternish Point.
From here, a beam wind slowed progress for our third crossing of the day, to reach the Ascrib Islands. A short choppy sea had made the crossing hard work and we rested awhile amongst the low lying islands, summoning enthusiasm for our fourth and last crossing of the day to reach Uig.
Tim heads out into Loch Snizort, Uig some 9km distant.
Ten hours and 52km after launching that morning, we landed on the rocky foreshore close to the pier. We had hoped to use the campsite but this proved difficult to access from the shore; we were in no mood to carry the heavy boats for such a distance and having accepted that it was going to be an uncomfortable camp we walked back along the rocks towards the boats.
As we passed the last house, a figure appeared above and enquired if those were our kayaks and, did we want to camp in his garden?
Several cups of tea and large portions of caramel popcorn later, we pitched on the thick grass of Brian and Anastasia's lawn. A definite result but tonight, it was gone 11pm by the time we had the tents up and a meal on.
Our hosts had checked the forecasts and assured of light winds tomorrow, with 135km already behind us along with the whole of the west coast, we were becoming increasingly confident that we could make it around Skye in six days as planned.