A View from Above...

...which unfortunately, was all I was going to get on the second day of the NWSKs EoSM.
In the summer I suffered from a short lived bout of Tenosynovitis; on the previous day's paddle from Rhoscolyn the same wrist became increasingly painful and by the next morning (when these pictures were taken), it was clear both wrists were affected.
Disappointed not to be able to paddle, given what looked to be superb conditions, I settled for for a walk along the cliffs, taking a shots as others from the meet paddled below.
I suspect it has been brought on by gripping the paddle shaft too tightly, something I know I'm guilty of especially when concentrating.
I did wonder if the larger blades (Werner Corryvreckan) that I have had since June were the cause, but given I used these to paddle the 270 km around Skye in August without any issue, I suspect the fault lies with my technique rather than the paddle.
Anyway, it was a beautiful morning and I sat a while in contemplation, enjoying the fleeting warmth of the autumn sun, watching the race beyond the beacon building, thinking of the many days I have enjoyed on this coast.

Comments

These are great images - they really don't need the heavy photoshopping...hope that's useful comment.

Mark
Vince said…
Will,

Were you wearing the dry-suit / top wrists seals comfortably? I had this problem a couple of years back and by a process of elimination realised that was the cause. I now always ensure they are snug and comfy and adjust them so they feel "right". No problems since.

Vince
Will Herman said…
Hi Mark - always appreciate constructive criticism.
Part of the problem re photoshop is using a poor monitor which means I sometimes get a bit of a shock looking at images on a different screen! Certainly some of the older pics, before I realised the problem, are have been pulled far further than I like, but I can't be bothered to go back and republish. Now, I usually just try to restore highlights that are blown out.
Glad you like the shots - always appreciate people's comments.
Cheers
Will
Will Herman said…
Hi Vince,

A few people have mentioned this. Was actually wearing a new cag, so it is possible, although when the problem last occured after a day spent wearing a shortie...the gasket seals on the new cag are also looser than on my dry suit & my old cag...who knows! Inclined to think it's more to do with over gripping the paddle when playing / rock hopping etc

Cheers
Will
Cool - I try to avoid using Photoshop; but when I do, my guide is - as soon as I start seeing the 'Readybrek' glow you get around edges (e.g. Rhoscolyn Beacon above) I know I've overdone it.

My own vice is over-saturation...must stop doing this...

Mark
Ian said…
Hi Will,

Given some of the paddles you've posted recently, I'm hardly surprised you've got tenosynuvitis - I'd have been gripping the paddle with a complete death-rip the whole trip! :o)

all the best
Will Herman said…
Hi Ian - Yep, I think overgripping is the cause: there have been times when I'm gripping as tightly as I have been, simply because I felt the paddle would have been ripped out of my hands otherwise. I'm going to try some surfer's board wax on the paddle shaft - hopefully the extra 'grip' it provides will help loosen my grip!
Cheers
Will