A rocky start...

As a child I remember spending many happy hours with a miniature geologist's hammer, cracking open all manner of rocks and many other things besides...it was a rocky start however and the hammer was a poor match for the unencumbered enthusiasm of an eight year old - I seem to recall losing the head in a tidal pool somewhere near Gairloch.
A quarter of a century (and the rest) later, spending such a significant amount of time at sea level, beneath the spectacular cliffs around the UK, I regularly resolve to learn more about the geology of the areas we visit.
Sometimes I find time for a little research once home, sometimes not. When I do, I invariably become frustrated by complex accounts of the formation of Triassic sandstones or Dalradian schists, but persist intermittently between trips.
I can tell you very little about the Tertiary Lavas, Moine Schists or Devonian granite found on the Ross of Mull...
...or the mixture of psammites, pelites and quartzites on the west coast of Anglesey around Borthwen and Rhoscolyn in particular...
...though I know a little more about the Lewisian gneiss found in Sutherland amongst other places in the north-west, which is a suite of Precambrian metamorphic rocks - I think.
Perhaps one day I will have learnt enough to appreciate exactly what I paddle beneath in these remarkable places that any real geologist would no doubt give a great deal to see.
But then again, perhaps not.

Comments

Stuart said…
Nice little post. I started adding geological places of interest on my maps, sad I know but I find it interesting. After-all it's another advantage of kayaking.
Will Herman said…
Hi Stuart,

It is interesting! I just wish I had the time and patience to learn more!

Cheers
Will