Memories in Monochrome

As I work through a series of images selected as possibles for black and white prints, I thought I'd share a few here. These are not necessarily the best technically of those I intend to print, but they are all of places significant to me in some way.
A hot and dry afternoon, high in the Dolomites.
A equally dry but extremely cold day in The Dales.
Most definitely not a dry day - at least not in Knoydart.
Climbers approaching a route on the Cumbrian fells, transformed by winter snows.
A much warmer day, just a few miles from home - a low sun lights the Wharfe valley as I descend from the moor by bike, late one summer evening.
Each of these brings back the detail of long days lived in full and fleeting moments to be remembered - memories in monochrome.

Comments

Ian said…
Some really nice shots here Will, can I ask about the B & W settings you've used to get the effects?

Kind Regards

Ian
Mark Rainsley said…
Lovely, thanks for sharing.

The Lakes pic is driving me mad. I used to have a photographic-memory-style ability to ID any peak from any angle, but I haven't a clue where that is...?
Will Herman said…
Hi Ian - thanks - the images were all shot in colour and then converted in PS.
Shooting in colour retains more detail - but it can be necessary to desaturate by varying degrees before converting as the process can cause pixels to become more visible.
Then, use the channel mixer to convert - don't just desaturate - this will leave you with poor contrast.
I think you use lightroom - I'm sure the principle is the same but I am not familiar with lightroom...
Hope that helps! Email if you wish...
Cheers
Will
Will Herman said…
Hi Mark - thanks for your comment - the image in question is of Dollywagon Pike (Falcon Crag) at the southern end of the Helvellyn ridge.
It was taken from the northern slopes of St Sunday Crag, en-route to Pinnacle Ridge.
We had looked at the routes on Falcon Crag ourselves before deciding there was simply too much snow - a thin crust with metres of unconsolidated powder beneath - unpleasant conditions for climbing - fantastic to look at!
Cheers
Will
Mark Rainsley said…
Believe it or not, that was my first guess - with Striding Edge behind and from St Sunday Crag and all - but I dismissed it as your photo makes the cliffs look far more imposing than they generally look...good work!
Nice pics - of course.
I'd like to see the kayaking one in colour!
Justine
Will Herman said…
Thanks again Mark - the summit in the top right of the frame is Nethernmost Pike - the ridge just in view is the one leading down to Eagle Crag...Striding edge is the next one along and in snow like this, is returned to an enjoyable route to the summit, rather than the crowded tourist trap it so often becomes in summer.
Cheers
Will
Will Herman said…
Hi Justine,

Thanks - you can see the colour shot here in the posts from the trip around Skye that Tim and I completed in August 2011 - a wonderful few days:

http://runswithaxes.blogspot.co.uk/2011_08_01_archive.html

Cheers
Will