Grassington Moor

I'd always known this track across Grassington Moor was there, but for whatever reason, had always opted for other nearby routes in the past. A week ago, I was delighted to find it gives a superb run across the moor - so pleased was I with this little discovery in fact, that I visited again, exactly one week later. In fact I thought it would make a nice run to test a borrowed Go-Pro camera, but despite another great ride, the results were somewhat shaky. I'll try again once I've figured out a better way of mounting the camera, meanwhile, a few images as usual.
After a spin on the road from Hebden, past Grass Woods - the steep-ish climb from Conistone up to Pinder Stile.
Looking back on Kilnsey Crag - the obvious left facing corner on the right of this image is The Deidre (E2 5a, 5b), a route I climbed with Karl several years ago. It is a fine route when dry and something of a rarity on Yorkshire limestone - i.e. a multipitch, well protected trad. route. (The first pitch takes wires where you want them and the second features numerous threads, many in-situ.)
The beautiful miniature valley above Conistone whose footpath rises to join the bridleway beyond Pinder Stile.
The angle relents as height is gained and the open moor rolls away - Black Edge in the distance.
Looking south towards Grassington.
On Bycliffe Hill where the track continues to climb gently to a high point of around 470m...
...before a fast descent leads past long since abandoned mine workings...
...interrupted only the ubiquitous dry stone walls - and grouse.
Another swift descent leads from Yarnbury, into the delightful valley of Hebden Beck...
...the track criss-crossing the beck before rejoining tarmac and dropping into Hebden all too soon.

Comments

Linda said…
These scenes are so beautiful. What a ride that must be! When I look at these photos, I get an adrenaline rush.