Third time lucky at Carn Mór

Someone once wrote, though I forget where I read it, that the mountains of the Fisherfield Forest north of Loch Maree are visited three times in life: once when young to climb the sensational routes high on Carn Mór; once in middle age to bag the Munroes; and once in later years to knock off the Corbetts.
Well I have visted three times, though I have climbed neither the Munroes nor the Corbetts  adjacent to Carn Mór.
But my first visit was indeed to climb Gob in 2004. It remains one of the finest routes anywhere, at any grade, that I have completed. A true classic that takes the line of least resistance, through some truly intimidating rock architecture, all the moves in perfect balance...
...and a superb finale on the last pitch - an overhung glacis that leads to the very summit. (Both images above taken by Paul Winder, an old climbing partner and author of The Cloud Garden, which tells the remarkable story of his nine month ordeal at the hands of kidnappers as he attempted to cross the Darien Gap.) 
The second trip was a two day walk, from Poolewe to Dundonnel, passing eventually beneath the superb corries of An Tellach, whose ridge is without equal on the mainland.
This, my third trip on the bike, took me to the half way point of that walk and back, in one afternoon.
For the third time, I was lucky with the weather. Blue skies and clear waters beneath Sgurr na Laocainn, immediately east of Carn Mór.
The causeway that divides the Duhb Loch from Fionn Loch, a natural resting point beneath the grandeur of Á Mhaighdean and Beinn Lair.
After the steep pull up beneath the crags of Sgurr na Laocainn, easier ground leads to the high lochans beyond...
...and a view towards Beinn Dearg Mór, though its more impressive corries are only seen from the north.
I paused awhile, wishing I had more time than the rapidly shortening autumn days allowed, before turning to make the wonderful run down...
...and down again, fast steeper ground leading back towards the Fionn Loch.
Riding in the shadow of Spidean nan Clach...
...racing through the forest to emerge as the sun set across Loch Ewe. I will need at least double my quota it seems, to do all that I wish amongst the mountains that surround Carn Mór.

Comments

Ian said…
Really great stuff Will, and you're right - we need some extra time!

Kind regards

The Idler said…
Would you be willing to go back a forth time? I haven't climbed Dragon yet.
Will Herman said…
Yep. Dragon remains on the list...
W