A drop or three in the Dales

I've lost count of the number of times I have ridden over Buckden Pike. Only once have I managed to ride as far as the flagged steps a little way short of the summit. More often I have pushed from somewhere a little lower. Today, having started in Arncliffe, climbing over Old Cote Moor and descending to Kettlewell, the legs were ready to stop spinning sooner than ever. But what a drop that had been - I'd felt on good form rattling through the loose limestone rock gardens at speed.
Chris leaving the summit of Bucken Pike (702m), heading for another fast drop, this time to Starbotton, before a third climb and final drop back to Arncliffe, this last, the fastest yet, a rocky start giving way to open, grassy slopes, the angle steepening as height is lost.
A day with little in the way of level ground, but a drop or three like these makes every push and carry worthwhile.

Comments