Yorkshire grit and a yellow moon

A short evening on Earl Crag proved a little more successful than my last visit. I still failed on problems that I would have climbed without too much difficulty a few years ago, but after topping out on a couple of easier lines, regaining a small degree of the old confidence, things improved rapidly. By which time the sun had set.
 Looking out towards a distant Ingleborough...
...before making use of the last of the light - a nice wall and something of a one-move-wonder, a thin move and dynamic reach making this an enjoyable problem.
A view along the crag to one of its two monuments, Pendle beyond.
Making the last easy moves that follow a strenuous hand traverse from the right...
...as the moon rose above the moor, high enough to catch the sun long since set. I walked back along the edge to the sound of the curlew and snipe - a bird whose distinctive call will always remind me of the Hebrides - where I hope to hear them again very soon...

Comments