Lazy beds and empty beaches

I have written of Clachtoll before - it is a place I have been returning to for the best part of two decades. The campsite is very different now and inevitably its character has changed. There are a number of new houses too overlooking the bay and immediately above the sea - a positive thing perhaps when set against the long history of depopulation in these areas. 
Whatever your view, it remains a beautiful place, more so perhaps on windswept days such as this.
It was here that I first learned of the lazy beds or runrigs - these being particularly striking examples...
...and from here that the Assynt and Coigach mountains first captured my imagination. It has been too long since I last stood on their summits and the traverse of Suilven in particular, a fine scramble, is one I will repeat soon I hope. Cul Mór I think will make an excellent fell run while the crags of Cúl Beag, above Loch Lurgain offer another fine scramble which I have yet to complete. Stac Pollaidh I will leave a little longer, though the ascent of its west buttress (a lower grade climb) and subsequent traverse of the ridge makes for an excellent mountaineering day. The winter traverse of Quinag however is one I hope to revisit in the coming months, the first frosts already touching the fells closer to home.

Comments